History-HouseT-1The history of Rahukohtu 5. The history of the building at Rahukohtu 5 goes back all the way to the 17 century ( the main building with the eastern wing was depicted on a mockup of Toompea made in 1683). Larger reconstructions and restorations after fires (after the great Toompea fire of 1864) took place at the end of the 17th and the beginning 18th century. The main building at the registered immovable obtained its present look after a renovation in 1859, carried out on the basis of a project by architect Chr.A.Gabler. The building was complemented by a wing with an archway on the side fasing the street , and a new stairway to the facade facing the yard ,as well as changes in the interior planning. Since that time, most of the architectural-historical details and the interior planning of the building have been preserved. The main building at Rahukohtu 5 was originally intended as a nobleman’s rezidence. In the 19th century, beginning in 1811 , this registetered immovable belonged to Baron von Fersen. In 1847, the owner was Sophie vonWrede and in 1856, major-general Baron Aleksander vonWrede. During his owner-ship, the last big reconstruction took place. In 1873, the registered immovable was purchased by Baron Constantin von Ungern-Sternberg. It remained in the possession of the Ungern-Sternberg family until 1928, when it was sold to the Ministry of Agricultural Industry of the Republic of Estonia. Later, during the Soviet period, the main building’s bigger rooms, on the side facing the slope, were used by the College of Economics. The rooms of the main building facing Rahukohtu Street, and of the building in the courtyard, were used as small apartments. The building was renovated in 2013.



robots.txt all